“SOHO FIRE” (NYC) (AUGUST 5th 2011)

5 Aug

Nearly a dozen people were injured when a fast-moving fire broke out at a SoHo apartment building.

A fire broke out in an apartment in the heart of SoHo early Friday morning, sending a resident and 10 firefighters to the hospital. Witnesses say the fire started in the basement. The flames traveled all the way up to the sixth floor of 68 Thompson Street. That building, as well as 72 Thompson, was evacuated. Residents told NBC New York they didn’t hear a smoke alarm go off. Neighbors banging on doors and yelling for them to get out woke them up. Residents said the hallways were smoky and dark. “I couldn’t see anything. Not an inch in front of me,” one resident told NBC New York. “I was asking where to go. Go up, go down? I didn’t know where the fire was. It was insane.” The Thompson Street residents made their way down the stairs. Several helped one of the oldest residents, a 92-year-old woman.  The Red Cross has set up a command center at Broome and Thompson Streets. It has placed six families in emergency housing. In those six familiar, there are 10 adults, one child and one dog. Other displaced residents are staying with friends or relatives. The resident taken to the hospital had minor smoke inhalation. That individual, who wasn’t identified, is expected to be fine, according to the FDNY. Of the 10 firefighters hospitalized, one had a heart condition, at least two had serious burns, two had minor smoke inhalation and others had problems related to minor exhaustion. The extent of the burned firefighters’ injuries wasn’t immediately clear. Fire marshals have yet to enter the fire-ravaged building. The structure is so badly damaged that they first need to assess the safety of the complex.

About these ads

One Response to ““SOHO FIRE” (NYC) (AUGUST 5th 2011)”

  1. Resident neighboe August 8, 2011 at 8:46 AM #

    The rumor in the neigjborhood is that the fire was caused by illegal renovations that were going on by the owner. Several residents of 72 and 68 confirmed this. The owner of the 2 buildings has a cafe on the ground floor which was closed down by the health dept. One tennant said he confronted 2 workers on whether they had a permit for work they were foing and was met with blank stares.!Several tennants have said that the owner was a real bitch and was not well liked in the neighborhood. Amazingly she has gone to the south of France on vacation 2 days after the fire.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 270 other followers

%d bloggers like this: